Minutes APC 10 May 2016

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON
TUESDAY 10 MAY 2016 AT 7.30 PM IN BARTESTREE VILLAGE HALL

Present:
Councillors: Mrs W Soilleux (Chair); G Davies (Vice-Chair); Mrs F Matthews; Mrs J Karayiannis; R Williams; S Garner; Mrs L Hoppé and M Wilson.

In Attendance:
Mrs E Wilson (Parish Clerk/RFO); Mrs L Rowberry (Chair NDPSG)

Members of the public: None

1. To Elect a Chairman/Sign Declaration of Office
Resolved: There being one nomination Cllr W Soilleux was elected Chair and duly signed the Declaration of Office.

2. To Elect a Vice Chairman
Resolved: Cllr G Davies was re-elected Vice Chairman.

3. To Receive Chair’s Announcements
The Chair asked that Councillors remember that if delegated to obtain items for the parish, all invoices must be addressed to the Clerk of Bartestree with Lugwardine Group Parish Council. She also suggested that it would be a good idea to make a reminder call to any members of the Planning Committee or members of other meetings, who appear to be absent without sending apologies, as all live close by.

4. To Accept Apologies for Absence
Apologies received from Cllrs N Shore; P Wargent; D Forrest and D Greenow (Ward Councillor)

5. To Adopt the Minutes of the Parish Council Meetings held on 8 March 2015 and 26 April 2016
The Clerk confirmed that the Minutes had previously been circulated to Council Members.
Resolved: The Minutes were adopted and signed by the Chair.

6. To Receive Declarations of Interest or Applications for             Dispensations
Item 16 Cllr Mrs J Karayiannis Discloseable Pecuniary Interest

7. To Elect other Officers, Committees and Working Groups

7.1 Responsible Finance Officer: Mrs E Wilson
7.2 Planning Committee: Cllrs: G Davies, L Hoppé, J Karayiannis, P Wargent and M Wilson
7.3 Finance Working Group: Cllrs: W Soilleux; M Wilson; S Garner and Mrs E Wilson (Clerk/RFO)
7.4 Transport Working Group: Cllrs: M Wilson, R Williams; Mrs J Karayiannis and Mrs F Matthews
7.5 Public Right of Way (PROW) Officer: Cllr Mrs L Hoppé
7.6 Tree Officer: Cllr Mrs L Hoppé
7.7 Resilience Co-ordinator: Cllr M Wilson
7.8 Representatives to the Playing Fields Association: Cllrs N Shore and R Williams
7.9 Representatives to the Village Hall Committee: Cllr P Wargent and Mrs F Matthews
7.10 Representative to the Lugwardine Charity,
Diana Caroline Hopton Charity and the
Longworth Chapel Trust Cllr W Soilleux
7.11 Two Representatives to the HALC SAM Meeting: Cllrs M Wilson and Mrs Karayiannis
7.12 Representative to HALC Executive Committee: Cllr M Wilson
7.13 Webmaster Cllr S Garner

Resolved: The above were duly elected

8. To Consider whether the following Council documents need updating

8.1 Standing Orders
8.2 Financial Regulations
8.3 Code of Conduct
8.4 Financial Controls and Risk Assessment
8.5 Asset Register
8.6 Risk Schedule
8.7 Press and Media Policy
8.8 Grant and Donations Policy
8.9 Complaints Procedure
8.10 Publication Scheme
8.11 Website Policy
8.12 Planning Committee Terms of Reference
8.13 Neighbourhood Development Plan Steering Group Terms of Reference

Comments: Minor amendments were needed to 8.1 Standing Orders and 8.2 Financial Regulations
Resolved: Both deferred to next scheduled Meeting. Item 8.2 Financial Regulations delegated to Finance Working Group for recommended amendment

9. Neighbourhood Development Plan

9.1 To Receive a Report from the NDPSG Chair or Secretary
Comments: The NDP has been submitted to Herefordshire Council. The Regulation 16 six- week consultation period ended on 3 May 2016. This means that the Plan should carry some weight as far as the Gladman Public Inquiry is concerned, even though there is no 5-year Housing Land Supply at the present time.
The Chair expressed her extreme surprise, disappointment and disgust that Cllr Wilson, a member of the Parish Council and the NDPSG, who had supported the submission of the NDP to Herefordshire Council for the Regulation 16 Consultation, had followed this by sending in an adverse representation. The Chair expressed the view that, as a member of a group one either accepts the majority decision of that group or one resigns from it. Other councilors agreed. Cllr Wilson replied saying that he had not made an adverse representation, but had responded to the Herefordshire Council Regulation 16 consultation with some suggested improvements that the Steering Group and the Parish Council had rejected.
Herefordshire Council deals with any Regulation 16 comments. The Plan cannot be changed or amended at this stage. When an Examiner is appointed the Parish Council will need to have a point of contact for him/her to use.
Resolved: Cllr W Soilleux and Lucinda Rowberry were nominated to be the point(s) of contact
9.2 To Approve the Consideration of the Gladman Reg 14 Response
Resolved: The 4 May 2016 draft was approved
9.3 To Approve a third grant application
Comments: Funding may be required for the following items – Consultant (2 days) £500 per day; Room Hire £100; Upgraded website £630; Publicity costs £250. A total of £1,980
Resolved: An application to Locality (Groundwork) should be submitted now

10. To Receive Brief Verbal Reports

10.1 Herefordshire District Councillor D Greenow
Resolved: In the absence of Cllr Greenow no Report was produced
10.2 Local Community Support Officer Elena Ekanite
Resolved: In the absence of CSO Ekanite no Report was produced

11. Open Discussion
Resolved: The Chairman gave a brief report of the first day of the Gladman Public Inquiry

12. Planning Matters:

12.1 To Receive a Verbal Report from the Planning Committee
Comments: Cllr Wilson reported on the Planning meetings held since the last scheduled Meeting and remarked on the various applications and decisions relating to planning matters, details of which are contained in the Minutes of the Planning Meetings.
Resolved: Noted

12.2 To Note the Minutes of the Planning Committee dated 8 March, 22 March, 5 April and 19 April 2016
Resolved: The Minutes had been previously circulated to all Councillors

13. Financial Matters

13.1 To Receive a Report and Financial Statement from the RFO
The RFO gave a report and commented that bank balances to date were in order. As at 29 April 2016 the Community A/C was £23,686.29 and Business Saver Account £23,932.56
The Financial Sheet including payments made and income received since the last meeting was previously circulated.
Resolved: The Financial Report was noted and accepted by the Council
13.2 To Receive a Report from the Finance Working Group
Comments: A written Report had been previously circulated
Resolved: Noted
13.3 To Consider Recommendations made by the Finance Working Group
Comments: The following recommendations were agreed (numbered as in the Report)
(3) The Parish Council insurance will be renewed with Zurich Insurance on a 3- year fixed term basis with the first year’s premium of £491.08
(8) The Clerk will be paid 40 hours overtime and will claw back some time as and when convenient
13.4 To Consider and approve the accounting procedure is to continue on a Receipts and Payments only basis
Resolved: Agreed
13.5 To Approve the Annual Governance Statement for 2014/15
Resolved: Deferred
13.6 To Appoint an Internal Auditor for 2016/17
Resolved: HALC to be appointed to carry out a 6 month and 12 month audit for 2016
13.7 To Agree Cheque Signatories
Resolved: It was agreed that Cllr’s G Davies, W Soilleux, R Williams and M Wilson are the cheque signatories for 2016/17
13.8 To Consider and Agree:
13.8.1 Payments made since 8 March 2016 [as listed on Finance Notes]
Resolved: Noted
13.8.2 Payment of Outstanding Invoices
Epona Studios – Website host £48.00 (052); Eve Wilson – April Salary and Room Allowance £**.** (053); SLCC – Membership Renewal £103.00 (054); Daniel Squire – Mowing £690.00 (055); Steelway Fensecure – Play Area Fence £9,336.40 (056); Clerk’s Expenses £120.54 (057)
Resolved: Noted and Agreed
13.9 To Approve Charitable Donations
Resolved: The payments of £50.00 to Longworth Chapel and £200.00 to St Michael’s Hospice were approved.
13.10 To Agree the Renewal of the Insurance Policy for 2016/17
Resolved: It was agreed that insurance should be renewed as at Item 13.3 (3) above

14. To Consider Clerk’s Options re Pension
Comments: The Pension’s Regulator requires Parish Councils to write to their Clerk to advise of options open to them.
Resolved: Delegated to the Finance Working Group to deal with

15. To Receive a Report from the Footpaths and Trees Officer
REPORT OF THE TREE WARDEN – Cllr L Hoppé
5 May 2016
I attended a Winter Tree Identification Day held in Woolhope on Saturday 5 March, which was really very useful. I tried to identify trees in the winter from their buds and achieved a few successes!! Still learning. It is now much easier with the leaves out!
What I have managed to do is be part of a Network of Tree Wardens, so if we have any major issues, such as the Gladman development, when I was able to call upon two of the most informed Tree Wardens in our area. Both Martin Hales and Mike Darley were incredibly helpful and advised me on my representation at the Gladman Public Inquiry. We have discovered that the hedge separating the two fields is Midland Hawthorne, which is quite rare. Also, Martin is very knowledgeable about owl habitats and again was able to advise me with my submission.
I have also discovered that the reason the TPO was not put on the group of Pear trees in the ancient orchard (Gladman site), is because they were not significant in the landscape, and that is one of the top priorities.
We have applied for a TPO on the Oak tree at the corner of Hagley Park and Longworth Lane because we have a major concern for its future, in view of Gladman’s intention to put a footpath along Longworth Lane. All the time this tree is not preserved, there is nothing to prevent damaging the root system beyond repair.
If anyone has anything to add or suggest, please do not hesitate to let me know.

REPORT OF THE FOOTPATH OFFICER РCllr L Hopp̩
In January this year we delivered over 30 requests for evidence of use of the “way” from 11 Hagley Park across to the junction with three other footpaths. Sadly we only received 2 replies, both of which have been submitted. However, I am told that our case is quite poor at the moment, and that I need to find more historical evidence, and possibly four more statements from residents. I will endeavour to do this over the next couple of weeks, subject to being at the Gladman Inquiry.
The obstruction on the footpath LU13 on the corner of Longworth Lane and Sunset Cottages, has since been alleviated by kinder weather. Walkers appear to be circumnavigating the mud. I have been unable to speak to Billy Reynolds, and will ask the Clerk to write to him, asking for the land to be cleared up properly and the PROW made good.
The stile at Prospect Cottage in Lumber Lane has resolved itself. The owner has told me that she intends to replace the stile with a wooden gate to her specification so she is then able to lock her drive gates.
Our request for a new stile at the junction of LU15 and Tidnor Lane is still outstanding.
I have been speaking to Jonathan Snowdon with regard to the stile at the junction of LU14 and the drive to Summerhouse. I asked if he could arrange for the stile to be made more user friendly as we have received complaints about not being able to negotiate the very high stile with dogs. He has said that he will replace this stile with a Ladder stile, which is still not particularly user friendly but if he makes the treads wide and safe (with wire on them) then it might work. Watch this space!
I would like to apply for a replacement stile on LU17, which is the PROW which runs from Dr Frith’s cottage across to the (now potato field). There is one stile in the hedge there, which has been blocked for dogs and is also particularly high and very difficult to negotiate safely.
Another stile that has collapsed is the one at the junction of LU16 and Lumber Lane, which crosses the (now potato) field. I will ask the Clerk to request a gate be fitted here as this field is always arable.
I have asked the owner of the field at the junction of LU17 and LU16 (Trevor Cook) if he would be kind enough to cut back the hawthorn hedge at this stile as it is now interfering with access.
I attended a meeting at the County Archives on Unrecorded Ways, which was very informative. This is our opportunity to get any old ways recorded in the Definitive Map of 2026. Please think carefully if you have any paths you would like to have recorded. There will be opportunities after 2026 but it will be much harder to get them included. Do you live next door to an older person who can remember walking through woods, or fields, which have been ploughed over? Let me know of anything that may be of interest.
If anyone has anything to add or suggest, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Resolved: Noted and Cllr Hoppé thanked. Mike Darley will be invited to give a presentation at a future Meeting

Cllr J Karayiannis left the room

16. To Consider funding a pavement from the new development next to the White House, Bartestree to the bus stop
Comments: Details of the cost of the work were previously circulated
Resolved: The Parish Council was not in favour of funding a pavement

Cllr J Karayiannis returned to the room

17. Lengthsman

17.1 To Consider work done/required under the Lengthsman Scheme
Comments: Details of the work done was circulated prior to the Meeting
Resolved: Noted
17.2 To Consider and sign Contract with Balfour Beatty for 2016/17 Lengthsman and P3 Scheme
Resolved: The Chair and the Clerk signed The Contract

18. To Consider work to the Play Area
Comments: Daniel Squire has estimated £80 to install new rubber matting in front of the seat and add soil and grass seed on the eroded/worn areas
Resolved: Approved

19. To Receive an update on the future use of the proposed gifted land
Resolved: No further progress so deferred

20. To Approve the Circulated Dates for Scheduled Parish Council/Planning Meetings for 2016/17
Comments: Dates were circulated to all Councillors prior to the Meeting.
Resolved: Dates agreed as amended

20. To Note the Information Sheet
Resolved: Information sheet noted

21. Parish Plan – Actions
Resolved: Deferred

22. To Note the Information Sheet
Noted

23. To Receive Questions from Councillors (tabled 7 days prior to Meeting)
Resolved: None

24. To Raise Items for the next Scheduled Parish Council Meeting – No Discussion
(1) 30 mph repeater signs on the A438 into Bartestree
(2) Replace dead squash tree at Bartestree Cross
(3) To Consider improving traffic safety along Whitestone Lane
All items referred from these minutes.

23. To Note the Date of the next Scheduled Parish Council Meeting
Tuesday 12 July 2016 at 7.30pm

Meeting concluded at 9.30pm

……………………………………..
Signature of Chair                                             Date: 12 July 2016