Minutes 9 May 2017

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON
TUESDAY 9 MAY 2017 AT 7.30 PM IN BARTESTREE VILLAGE HALL

Present:
Councillors: Mrs W Soilleux (Chair); G Davies (Vice-Chair); Mrs F Matthews; Mrs J Karayiannis; P Wargent; D Forrest; S Garner; R Williams; Mrs L Hoppé; and M Wilson.

In Attendance:
Mrs E Wilson (Parish Clerk/RFO);

Members of the public: 7

1. To Elect a Chairman/Sign Declaration of Office
Resolved: There being one nomination Cllr W Soilleux was elected Chair and duly signed the Declaration of Office.

2. To Elect a Vice Chairman
Resolved: Cllr G Davies was re-elected Vice Chairman.

3. To Receive Chair’s Announcements
The Chair asked Councillors that as we have only six scheduled meetings per year and the dates are agreed well in advance, will they please make an effort to attend at least five of them. If Councillors are aware of any matters that will be coming up in the future, please can they draw our attention to them. If anyone knows someone who would look after the plants in the trough in Lugwardine, please let the Clerk know.

4. To Accept Apologies for Absence
Apologies received from Cllrs N Shore and D Greenow (Ward Councillor)

5. To Adopt the Minutes of the Parish Council Meetings held on 14 March 2017
The Clerk confirmed that the Minutes had previously been circulated to Council Members.
Resolved: The Minutes were adopted and signed by the Chair.

6. To Receive Declarations of Interest or Applications for Dispensations
Item 22 – Cllr M Wilson – non-pecuniary interest
Item 22 – Cllr R Williams – non-pecuniary interest
Item 16 – Cllr R Williams – non-pecuniary interest
Item 16 – Cllr Mrs F Matthews – non-pecuniary interest
Item 10.5 – Cllr Mrs F Matthews – non-pecuniary interest

7. To Elect other Officers, Committees and Working Groups
7.1 Responsible Finance Officer: Mrs E Wilson
7.2 Planning Committee: Cllrs: G Davies, L Hoppé, J Karayiannis, P Wargent and M Wilson
7.3 Finance Working Group: Cllrs: W Soilleux; M Wilson; D Forrest and Mrs E Wilson (Clerk/RFO)
7.4 Transport Working Group: Cllrs: M Wilson, R Williams; Mrs J Karayiannis and Mrs F Matthews
7.5 Public Right of Way (PROW) Officer: Cllr Mrs L Hoppé
7.6 Tree Officer: Cllr Mrs L Hoppé
7.7 Resilience Co-ordinator: Cllr M Wilson
7.8 Representatives to the Playing Fields Association: Cllrs N Shore and R Williams
7.9 Representatives to the Village Hall Committee: Cllr P Wargent and Mrs F Matthews
7.10 Representative to the Lugwardine and
Diana Caroline Hopton Charities Cllr W Soilleux
7.11 Representatives to Longworth Chapel Trust Cllr W Soilleux
7.12 Two Representatives to the HALC SAM Meeting: Cllrs M Wilson and Mrs Karayiannis
7.13 Representative to HALC Executive Committee: Cllr M Wilson
7.14 Webmaster Cllr S Garner
Resolved: The above were duly elected

Item 22 was brought forward and dealt with at this stage – see below

8. To Consider whether the following Council documents need updating
8.1 Standing Orders
8.2 Financial Regulations
8.3 Code of Conduct
8.4 Financial Controls and Risk Assessment
8.5 Asset Register
8.6 Risk Schedule
8.7 Press and Media Policy
8.8 Grant and Donations Policy
8.9 Complaints Procedure
8.10 Publication Scheme
8.11 Website Policy
8.12 Planning Committee Terms of Reference
Resolved: All items deferred to next Meeting

9. To Receive Brief Verbal Reports
9.1 Herefordshire District Councillor D Greenow
Comments: In the absence of Cllr Greenow no Report was given
9.2 Local Community Support Officer Elena Ekanite
Comments: In the absence of CSO Ekanite no Report was produced

10. Open Discussion
10.1 To Receive an update on the blocked drains near Gateway Nursery and Hagley Park and the installation of pavements on Longworth Lane
Comments: Cllr Forrest advised that a legal agreement had now been signed regarding the pavements. A Road Opening License is awaited before work can be started regarding the drains. It is anticipated that work will start in 28 days.
Resolved: Comments noted and Cllr Forrest thanked
10.2 To Consider the installation of a barrier or similar, at the pedestrian crossing on the A438 opposite the Village Hall entrance to prevent schoolchildren running from the public footpath across the highway
Comments: Arrangements have been made for Cllr Soilleux and the Clerk to meet with the Locality Steward to discuss possibilities.
Resolved: Deferred to next scheduled Meeting
10.3 To Consider what action may be taken regarding the condition of the pavements on Wilcroft Park, Bartestree
Resolved: Cllr Williams will compile a list of defects and details of the owners of the service covers and give to the Clerk to forward to the Locality Steward. The Transport Working Group was tasked with carrying out a whole group parish pavement survey with a map/plan to show location of defects plus refurbishment requirements and then transfer the information into a table to bring to the next scheduled Meeting for consideration by full Council
10.4 To Consider the provision of a footway from the bus shelter at Lugwardine Court Orchard to St Mary’s School
Comments: Arrangements have been made for Cllr Soilleux and the Clerk to meet with the Locaility Steward to discuss possibilities
Resolved: Deferred to next scheduled Meeting
10.5 To Consider the problem of rubbish bags left on the A438 for collection being torn, resulting in rubbish littering the surrounding area
Comments: Cllr Matthews (a resident affected by the situation) advised that the contractors collecting the bins used to drive down the lane to 4 properties to collect it, but have since stopped. It is very difficult to wheel bins over the rough terrain to the highway, which is why residents use bags. Apparently Herefordshire Council have requested the refuse collectors to carry out a risk assessment with a view to resuming collection of bins in situ, or otherwise the possibility of residents leaving bins at the Village Hall entrance.
Resolved: The Clerk will write to Herefordshire Council asking if collection of bins from the properties involved can be resumed

11. Planning Matters:
11.1 To Receive a Verbal Report from the Planning Committee
Comments: Cllr Davies reported on the Planning meetings held since the last scheduled Meeting and remarked on the various applications and decisions relating to planning matters, details of which are contained in the Minutes of the Planning Meetings.
Resolved: Noted
11.2 To Note the Minutes of the Planning Committee dated 7 February, 14 March, 11 April and 25 April 2016
Resolved: The Minutes had been previously circulated to all Councillors
11.3 Land East of Church House and West of the A438, Bartestree
Section 38 Highways Act 1980
To Consider whether to request Street Lighting on the above development
Resolved: The Parish Council does not want street lighting of any kind on the Keepmoat site
11.4 Quarry Fields, Lugwardine, Hereford
Section 38 Highways Act 1980
To Consider whether to request Street Lighting on the above development
Resolved: The Parish Council does not want street lighting of any kind on the Quarry Fields site

12. Financial Matters
12.1 To Receive a Report and Financial Statement from the RFO
The RFO gave a report and commented that bank balances to date were in order. As at 28 April 2017 the Community A/C was £28,723.39 and Business Premium Account £23,941.50
The Financial Sheet including payments made and income received since the last meeting was previously circulated.
Resolved: Consideration deferred to next Meeting
12.2 To Receive a Report from the Finance Working Group
Comments: No Report arises
Resolved: Noted
12.3 To Consider Recommendations made by the Finance Working Group
Resolved: No Recommendations made
12.4 To Consider and approve the accounting procedure is to continue on a Receipts and Payments only basis
Resolved: Deferred to next Meeting
12.5 To Approve the Annual Governance Statement for 2016/17
Resolved: Deferred to next Meeting
12.6 To Approve the Accounting Statements for 2016/17
Resolved: Deferred to next Meeting
12.7 To Appoint an Internal Auditor for 2017/18
Resolved: Deferred to next Meeting
12.8 To Agree Cheque Signatories
Resolved: It was agreed that Cllr’s G Davies, W Soilleux, R Williams and M Wilson are the cheque signatories for 2017/18
12.9 To Consider and Agree:
12.9.1 Payments made since 8 March 2017 [as listed on Finance Notes] Resolved: Noted
12.9.2 Payment of Outstanding Invoices
Playdale – Repairs and Parts (126) £423.94; Eyelid Productions – Web Support (127) £100.00; HALC – Training 21/3 (128) £72.00; Hfds Tree Warden Network – Subs (129) £25.00; Daniel Squire – Weed Spraying (130) £516.00; Eve Wilson – Expenses (131) £108.49; SLCC – Membership fee (132) £108.00; Daniel Squire – Weed Spraying Hagley Orchard (133) £60.00; Daniel Squire – Tree Cutting (133) £60.00; Daniel Squire – Ground Maintenance (133) £672; R Frances – Play Area Inspection (134) £45.00; Maplin – Surge Socket (135) £19.99; M Dyer – P3 Footpaths ((136) £265.00; 123 Connect – Web Host fee (137) £58.80; Eve Wilson – Lengthsman Admin (138) £161.50
Resolved: Noted and Agreed. Cllr Wilson requested that it be recorded he did not approve the payment of the SLCC Membership fee (132) £108.00.
12.10 To Approve Charitable Donations to St Michaels Hospice and Longworth Chapel
Resolved: The payments of £50.00 to Longworth Chapel and £200.00 to St Michael’s Hospice were approved under S.137 Local Government Act 1972.

13. Traffic
13.1 To Consider whether to proceed with a Feasibility Study to establish whether the extension/moving of the existing traffic island at Bartestree Crossroad is possible without impacting on road users, at a cost of £1,062.56 plus VAT as quoted by Balfour Beatty
Resolved: The Transport Working Group will investigate options that could improve safety at Bartestree Crossroads with particular reference to the Longworth Lane junction with a view to establishing if it is necessary to recommend that the Parish Council should ask Balfour Beatty to widen its feasibility study and report to full Council at the next scheduled Meeting

14. Village Hall Entrance
14.1 To Consider whether it is appropriate to proceed with the widening of the entrance to the Village Hall
Resolved: This matter deferred and to be considered in conjunction with the proposed gifted land
14.2 To Consider funding/grant opportunities for the widening of the VH entrance
Resolved: This matter deferred and to be considered in conjunction with the proposed gifted land

15. Trees and Footpaths
15.1 To Receive a Report from the Footpaths and Trees Officer
Comments: Cllr Hoppé confirmed that a new kissing gate had been installed at LU17 on land near the top of Meadowside. Two kissing gates will be installed at LU14 near Summerhouse and the PROW near the playing fields and Jonathan Snowdon’s boundary.
Resolved: Noted and Cllr Hoppé thanked
15.2 To Consider the proposed diversion of Footpath BJ2 on the new development site on land East of Church House and west of the A438, Bartestree
Resolved: The Parish Council supported the proposed diversion of Footpath BJ2. The Clerk will advise Balfour Beatty that the Parish Council requests the installation of wide self-closing gates at the junction of BJ2 and the A438 and the junction of BJ2 with Lower Bartestree Lane, wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs and pushchairs to ensure the safety of its users.

16. To Consider future use of proposed gifted land
Resolved: All residents will be invited to attend a forum to present ideas at an event to be held at the Village Hall on Sunday 9 July 2017 from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Arrangements will be made for flyers to be distributed to as many residents as possible via the Bartestree Beer Festival on 24 June 2017, at the Village Stores and local schools. Quotations for 500, 750 and 1,000 flyers will be considered at the next Meeting. Cllr Soilleux will draft a flyer and circulate to all Councillors for approval.

17. To Receive any updates from the Village Hall Representatives
Comments: There will be a Beer Festival on the 24 June 2017, which should attract a good attendance. The Committee is looking to replace the basins in the Ladies toilets.
Resolved: Noted and Cllrs Wargent and Matthews thanked

18. To Receive any updates from the Playing Fields Association Representatives
Resolved: Nothing to Report

19. Lengthsman
19.1 To Consider work done/required under the Lengthsman Scheme
Comments: Details of the work done was circulated prior to the Meeting
Resolved: Noted
19.2 To Consider and sign Contract with Balfour Beatty for 2017/18 Lengthsman and P3 Scheme
Resolved: The Chair and the Clerk signed The Contract

20. Transport Working Group
20.1 To Receive a Report from the Transport Working Group
Resolved: Nothing to Report

21. Speed Indicator Devices
21.1 To Consider alternative base for SID opposite Kartway in Lugwardine
Resolved: Deferred to a future Meeting

22. Closed Churchyard
22.1 To Consider Notice received from the Parochial Church Council requesting the Parish Council take responsibility for maintenance of the Closed Churchyard at St Peter’s, Lugwardine under s.215(2) Local Government Act 1972
Resolved: Responsibility for maintenance of the Closed Churchyard to be passed to Herefordshire Council in accordance with s.215(3) Local Government Act 1972

23. To Approve the Circulated Dates for Scheduled Parish Council/Planning Meetings for 2017/18
Comments: Dates were circulated to all Councillors prior to the Meeting.
Resolved: Dates agreed

24. To Note the Information Sheet
Noted

25. To Receive Questions from Councillors (tabled 7 days prior to Meeting)
Resolved: None

26. To Raise Items for the next Scheduled Parish Council Meeting – No Discussion

The meeting went into private session due to the confidential nature of the subject

27. Clerk – To Consider Clerks Terms of Employment (private session)
Resolved: Clerk’s Salary increased by 1 point to SCP22, backdated to 1 April 2017, in line with her Contract of Employment – achieving qualified clerk status

28. To Note the Date of the next Scheduled Parish Council Meeting
Tuesday 11 July 2017 at 7.30pm

Meeting concluded at 9.30pm

……………………………………..
Signature of Chair                                                 Date: 11 July 2016